Volunteers are the backbone of the Safe Shelter of St. Vrain Valley’s efforts to stop relationship abuse: they provide support for victims in addition to educating the community. We know that giving back to the community can be rewarding, and we welcome volunteer involvement to broaden our services as well as enriching our volunteers' experiences.
There are several Volunteer Opportunities at Safe Shelter. Depending on your focus areas and the organizational needs, volunteers may answer the Crisis Line to assist clients and refer them to appropriate resources within or without the organization; help with legal papers and court appearances; work in shelter; help with data entry; front desk reception; community Outreach presentations and tabling; or facility maintenance.
When you act as an advocate against domestic violence you have an opportunity for great personal growth, as well as exposure to various cultures, ethnicities and ideologies. Your decision to join the Safe Shelter team is not one to be taken lightly. Due to the important nature of our work, we ask for a 6-month commitment and require comprehensive training to enable our volunteers to have the greatest degree of effectiveness in the St. Vrain Valley community and surrounding areas.
Please note that all volunteers are required to participate in our 30-hour training curriculum, which is offered several times each year, usually in the Fall and Winter. Our next Volunteer Training will start on Tuesday, August 27th at 6pm.
Upcoming Training Schedule:
Tuesday, August 27th 6-9pm
- Agency Overview/History of the Movement – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
- Types of Abuse, Power & Control; DV 101 – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
Thursday, August 27th 6-9pm
- DV 101 Continued – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
- Batterer Dynamics – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
Tuesday, September 3rd 6-9pm
- In Her Shoes – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
Thursday, September 5th 6-9pm
- Legal Program – BreAnne M/Legal Advocate, Safe Shelter
- Victim’s Rights/Compensation – Alexa Morena/Victim Advocate, Longmont Police Department
Saturday, September 7th 9am-3pm
- Working With Victims With Disabilities – Debora Beck-Massey
- Engaging Men in the Movement – Derek McCoy/Project Pave
- White Ribbon Campaign - Brian Katz/White Ribbon Campaign
Tuesday, September 10th 6-9pm
- Sexual Assault and DV Intersections – Sarah Dobson/Moving to End Sexual Assault (MESA)
- Emergency Shelter Program – Jenny Shaw/Community Outreach Director, Safe Shelter
Thursday, September 12th 6-9pm
- Emergency Shelter and Public Outreach Children’s Programs – Jackie List/Safe Shelter Executive Director
- Marginalized Communities and DV – Mary Jo V/Bi-lingual Advocate, Safe Shelter
Saturday, September 14th 9am-3pm
- LGBTQ and DV – JP Butler/Safe Shelter Board President
- Stand Up Colorado - Ellen Wallace/Manager, Stand Up Colorado
- Teen Dating Violence/Prevention – Emily E/Prevention Education Specialist, Safe Shelter
- Volunteer Opportunities
Contact Jenny Shaw at email@example.com or 303-772-0432 for more information or to register for this training!
For more information, please call our office at 303-772-0432 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.